How Much Can a 2021 Ford Explorer Tow?
When properly equipped, the 2021 Ford Explorer has a tow capacity that can reach up to 5,600 pounds—more than enough for your trailer or motorboat. While AutoSaavy doesn’t sell new Ford Explorer SUVs, we have an extensive inventory of used Ford Explorers from the recent generation that offer nearly identical specs. To get a sense of what the past few model years have had to offer in the way of towing capability, take a moment to learn about the 2021 Explorer. Then, fill out a pre-approval and get in touch with an AutoSaavy dealer near you to test drive a highly similar Explorer with a much more affordable price!
2021 Ford Explorer Engine Specs
To really know how much a Ford Explorer can tow, Denver, CO drivers should take a moment to explore the 2021 Ford Explorer towing capacity across each of its 3 engine options.
- 2.3L EcoBoost® 4-Cylinder: With 300 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque, even the standard Ford Explorer engine option gets you 5,300 pounds when properly equipped.
- 3.0L EcoBoost® V6: On the Platinum trims, twin-turbos, direction injection, and a 10-speed automatic transmission pairs with 365 hp and 380 lb-ft of torque to get you a Ford Explorer towing capacity of 5,600 pounds. This same powertrain configuration gets you 400 hp and 415 lb-ft of torque on the ST trims.
- 3.3L Hybrid: Opt for the hybrid variant of the Explorer, and you’ll still enjoy 5,000 pounds of towing with exceptional fuel economy.
2021 Ford Explorer Towing Technologies
Yes, the 2021 Ford Explorer towing capacity is highly capable, but following technologies make towing a smoother, more convenient experience than ever:
- Towing and Trailer Sway Control: This system automatically adjusts brake pressure and torque to help mitigate trailer sway.
- Sidewind Stabilization: This system reduces the force of cross-winds and helps your trailer stay in one lane.
- Intelligent 4WD with Terrain Management System™: Custom tailor your drive to adapt to the unique roads ahead with Normal, Mud/Rut, Sand, or Grass/Gravel/Snow modes.
- AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control™: AdvanceTrac® with RSC™ uses gyroscopic sensors to manage yaw and roll rates, understeer, wheel slippage, and works to perfect stability during cornering.
- Class III Trailer Tow Package: To enjoy that maximum towing capacity, you’ll want to equip with the trailering package, which is available 2.3L EcoBoost® and 3.3L hybrid engines, and standard on the 3.0L EcoBoost®.
Test Drive a Recent-Gen Explorer At AutoSavvy
Now that you’re informed about how much a 2021 Ford Explorer can tow, get in touch with AutoSaavy location to test drive much more affordable recent-generation Explorers with comparable specs. We have locations in greater Omaha, Boise, Las Vegas, Colorado Springs, Fort Worth, Houston, and beyond! If you’re still doing research, take a moment to explore our manufacturer research guides while you’re here, then take a moment to check out our complimentary warranty!